Mobile Field Services and Service Optimization - Not This Time

Yesterday we called our lawn sprinkler company and requested service.  The service was on a section that had been repaired earlier.  I was calling them back to repair the same section.

Here is what an optimzied service would have looked like:
  • The mobile service ticket would have alerted the service technician that this was the second visit for the same issue.
  • The service technician would call me and ask a few questions before driving all the way out to my house.  This would save time and money.
  • The service technician would then bring the required parts with him, thus reducing time and fuel and allowing for more work to be done in a day.
Instead, the service technician did not call, did not review the service ticket until arriving, did not look up my account details, and did not review my past service tickets and issues.  He drove all the way out, looked at the problem, realized he needed parts, drove all the way back to get the parts, and returned 30 minutes later.  A simple five minute visit took nearly an hour.  The cost was the same for the 5 minute visit as it was for 1 hour.

I remember another incident with my plumber.  I called and scheduled a service call.  I said I will take a photo and email it to you so you can see the problem and know what to be prepared for prior to coming out.  The dispatcher said, "What would I do with a photo?"  Never mind....

You probably don't want to be a service technician at my house.  I exhibit a freakish interest in your job, ask too many questions about the way your business operates and follow you around with a note pad. 

Upcoming Events

Eggs with Benedict - European Tour - Mobility Strategies and More, June 27 – July 1, 2011
ClickConnect APAC 2011, July 11 – 13, 2011
Syclo Mobile Conference 2011, July 13 – 15, 2011

Whitepapers of Note

The Business Benefits of Mobile Adoption with SAP Systems
ClickSoftware Mobility Suite and Sybase Mobility Solution
Mobile Adoption Among Gas and Electric Utilities
Mobile Adoption in Life Sciences
Mobile Adoption in Oil and Gas
Networked Field Services

Recorded Webinars of Note

3 Critical Considerations for Embracing Mobile CRM
The Future of Enterprise Mobility
The Latest m-Business Trends and How the Onslaught of Mobile Devices Affects Development Strategies
The Real-Time Mobile Enterprise:  The Benefits of Rapid, Easy Access
Syclo and SAP Deliver Mobile Apps on Sybase Unwired Platform


*************************************************************
Kevin Benedict, Independent Mobile and M2M Industry Analyst, SAP Mentor Volunteer
Follow me on Twitter @krbenedict
Full Disclosure: I am an independent mobility analyst, consultant and blogger. I work with and have worked with many of the companies mentioned in my articles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artificial Intelligence and Your Soul - An Interview with David Espindola

Digital Twins Film Project - Premier

Insuring Against Cyber Threats with Expert Bob Parisi