Saving Billions with the Help of Enterprise Mobility Solutions, Part 1

I worked on a mobility project a few years ago with a very large construction and engineering firm that did contract work for water and electrical utilities in the UK.  They came to me with a need to survey and inspect council houses.  Council housing is a form of public or social housing in the United Kingdom. Council houses are built and operated by local councils to provide uncrowded, well built homes on secure tenancies at below market rents to primarily working class individuals.

The contractor asked me to provide consulting on how to mobilize up to 3,000 inspectors all around the UK to go to council houses and inspect them for ways to conserve both energy and water.  The number 3,000 had a magical ring to it so I agreed.
I flew to Newcastle where I met with the team and found out their real motivation for wanting to inspect the houses and mobilize their inspectors.  Their real motivation was a desire to save billions in Sterling!  If they could inspect the houses, recommend ways to reduce water consumption by 10, 20 or 30 percent, then they could delay the need to build new water reservoirs which could take years and cost billions.

I like mobile ROIs with the word billions attached! 

The SAP Workforce Scheduling and Service Optimization solution is one of the solutions available that is designed for managing work in the field on mobile devices.

Read Part 2 of this article here.

***************************************************
Kevin Benedict, SAP Mentor, SAP Top Contributor, Mobile and M2M Industry Analyst
Phone +1 208-991-4410
twitter @krbenedict
Join SAP Enterprise Mobility on Linkedin:
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=2823585&trk=anet_ug_grppro

Full Disclosure: I am an independent mobility consultant, mobility analyst, writer and Web 2.0 marketing professional. I work with and have worked with many of the companies mentioned in my articles.

No comments:

Featured Post

Leadership Advice from a Futurist - A Reading

Leadership is hard.  So for all the leaders and want-to-be leaders out there, here is some advice that I hope you will find useful. ***...