The Amazing Potential of a ChatGPT and Human Pairing

I have been having all kinds of fun with OpenAI's Dall-e for art, and ChatGPT for answers, research, testing and jokes.  Let's talk about ChatGPT and jokes.  It is not very good at writing funny jokes.  It has an academic understanding of what jokes are, but it finds it difficult to deliver them.  Out of hundreds of attempts, here are a few of the best jokes ChatGPT could come up with:
  • Why did the Luddite start using social media? So he could complain about it. 
  • Why did the bioengineer create a new species of bacteria that can glow in the dark? To shed some light on the subject.
  • When asked what he was working on the bioengineer answered, “I could tell you, but then I'd have to genetically modify you."
  • How many Luddite farmers does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer candles.
  • What do you get when you cross a Luddite with a Time Machine?  A trip to the past no one wanted. 
Here's the thing with the above jokes - they almost worked.  I had to tweak them just a bit to get them to work.  ChatGPT puts most of the right words together, but not necessarily in the right order to surprise and create humor.  ChatGPT is, however, a great idea generator, and generating ideas is immensely valuable.

I have found that if you ask ChatGPT to write some generic jokes it fails.  If you tell it to write some jokes with a combination of interesting characters such as a bioengineers, Luddites and a priest, you start getting material with some great ideas.  Again, ChatGPT mostly fails to be funny, but it's attempts provides some good material to get your creative juices flowing.

I have come away impressed with Dall-e and with ChatGPT.  They both make great human/AI pairings.  They help me produce better content, faster. 

I am now regularly producing humor from ideas generated by ChatGPT, and the illustrations generated by Dall-e.  Follow me on Twitter @krbenedict, or follow me on LinkedIn or Instagram@futurist_humor to see them.

It is clear to me that ChatGPT, and other AI platforms using large language models, can offer incredible value to most knowledge workers.  

I met with an engineer friend of mine last week, and he asked ChatGPT what it knew about some bleeding edge engineering topics. It produced an accurate summary, and he was impressed.  It could have written an executive summary for him.

I encourage you to test it.  Learn where it is strong, and where it is weak.  Use it.  Your competition will be. 



************************************************************************
Kevin Benedict
Futurist at TCS
View my profile on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter @krbenedict
Join the Linkedin Group Digital Intelligence

***Full Disclosure: These are my personal opinions. No company is silly enough to claim them. I work with and have worked with many of the companies mentioned in my articles.

No comments:

Featured Post

Leadership Advice from a Futurist - A Reading

Leadership is hard.  So for all the leaders and want-to-be leaders out there, here is some advice that I hope you will find useful. ***...