B2E Apps are completely different beasts to B2C. They are generally not held up to the same high level of scrutiny as those in the enterprise space and this makes for some interesting design decisions.
- Firstly, you don’t have to battle Apple for a space in the App Store because a company typically has its own private App Store.
- Secondly, the user interface doesn’t have to be as competitive with native Apps. Notice I did not say user experience, because I feel that is just as important in the B2E space to drive up employee engagement.
- Thirdly, it is often the case that you need “jump off points” into other web based systems due to the complexity of integration with back end systems
- Intel XDK
- Pure Native with WebView
At the moment PhoneGap is the most popular solution for Hybrid Apps but it is caught in a game of catch-up trying to integrate the latest features. One temporary solution is to use Native Apps with WebViews and target the latest versions of the Operating Systems in order to get the best experience. A different solution is to look at technologies that allow you to inject scripts into WebViews in order to mobile-optimise the experience using new styles and document object model manipulation to offer a form of intelligent reduction.
A few technologies that offer script injection into a webpage are as follows:
- WKWebView (iOS 8+)
- Appcelerator Titanium WebView
- CocoonJS (possibly allows script injection)
- Use a Native App with a WKWebView / Chrome WebView and the latest operating systems to get the best web experience
- Use a decent web framework such as Angular Famo.us inside the WebView
- Consider mobile-optimised versions of websites for use inside of WebViews
- Consider Cloud-transformation tools such as MoovWeb to automatically mobile-optimise desktop websites
- Consider script injection into WebViews using technologies like WKWebView, Titanium and CocoonJS
Writer, Speaker, Senior Analyst
Digital Transformation, EBA, Center for the Future of Work Cognizant
View my profile on LinkedIn
Learn about mobile strategies at MobileEnterpriseStrategies.com
Follow me on Twitter @krbenedict
Browse the Mobile Solution Directory
Subscribe to Kevin'sYouTube Channel
Join the Linkedin Group Strategic Enterprise Mobility
Join the Google+ Community Mobile Enterprise Strategies
Recommended Strategy Book Code Halos
Recommended iPad App Code Halos for iPads
***Full Disclosure: These are my personal opinions. No company is silly enough to claim them. I am a mobility and digital transformation analyst, consultant and writer. I work with and have worked with many of the companies mentioned in my articles.